Saturday, December 6, 2008
Simple Joy
I have been having a difficult time getting excited about Christmas this year. Right now I am not certain I will be able to be with my family for Christmas, I am pretty certain that in such a short time we will not have found an answer and treatment that will have me able to eat or feeling significantly better, and I hate even the idea of missing out on so many precious family memories and traditions. Yet today after a "long winter's nap", I awoke to discover that the friends I live with had begun to seriously decorate the house for Christmas. They make just about any other interior Christmas decoration attempt look pathetic with their incredible collection of ornaments from around the world and at least two trees on display each year and anything else you could think of. Then I discovered that while I was sleeping and dreaming of my cold, wintery Northern home it had begun to snow here - real stick-to-the-ground-and-tree-branches snow! Yes, I celebrated and laughed and was delighted at what will add up to no more than an inch of snow because this Yankee needed that taste of home so badly, and snow this early is not that common. Then my friends offered one of their many Christmas trees for me to have in my room, a small perfect-for-my-room sized Christmas tree and they then supplied everything I would need to decorate it. Christmas arrived literally on my doorstep and in my room today in ways I never expected. I have the most beautiful tree situated on a low coffee table at the foot of my bed lit with lights that are designed to resemble the old fashioned candles that were first used on trees, a handmade cornhusk angel atop the tree, and an assortment of gorgeous antique ornaments sparkling on the tree. Anyone who truly knows me knows that this is the perfect Christmas tree for me. Growing up my favorite ornaments were always the antique ornamets we had, the ones my mom thought were ugly compared to the perfect new bulbs and such but that I insisted were far superior. I adore candle light and one of my favorite traditions growing up was the candlelight Christmas Eve service at church. And I adore things that are handmade, old, and have a history to them. So where I had given up on finding any real joy in this holiday season, I unexpectedly found a wealth of simple joy. The joy of completely unexpected and unpredicted snow that gave me a sense of the home I miss so much and a taste of thousands of memories. The joy of a small, simple Christmas tree of my own to offer beauty and light and a collection of Christmas memories and hope. Where I thought I might very well have nothing, enough is quite a feast.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment